I was born and raised in the San Francisco Bay Area then moved to Seattle, Washington. After High School I lived in Hawaii for fun, Olympia, Washington for college then Berkeley for law school. I’ve been a resident of Santa Cruz since 1983. I am a graduate of Evergreen State College in Washington State and Golden Gate University School of Law in San Francisco. After working two years for the Center for Judicial Education and Research in Berkeley, I spent three years as a Public Defender in Santa Clara County, then three years as a Public Defender in Santa Cruz County. For 27 years I maintained a solo practice. Beginning in 2014 I invited Mark Garver to join me in my new offices. Mark is an outstanding attorney with over 13 years of winning trial work. I am very pleased to have him as a colleague.
Professional Associations, Memberships, and Honor Include:
- I was voted Best Attorney winner for seven years in the Metro Reader’s Poll starting in 2006 (The first year the Metro had the category AND the last year it was published).
- I was voted Best Attorney in Santa Cruz in the Good Times 1996 Readers Poll (The last year the Good Times had the category).
- I was appointed in 2013 to the County’s Juvenile Justice & Delinquency Commission by Supervisor Neal Coonerty.
- I was twice voted President of the Santa Cruz County Criminal Defense Bar.
- I was voted 2010 “Roland K. Hall Award” winner by the Santa Cruz County Bar Association.
- I was voted 2008 “Pro Bono Attorney of the Year” by Santa Cruz County Bar Association.
- The National Association of Criminal Defense Attorneys
- The California Attorneys for Criminal Justice
- The California Public Defenders Association
- The Santa Cruz Bar Association
- The Santa Cruz County Criminal Defense Bar
One of my proudest accomplishments:
Being coach for the Santa Cruz High School Mock Trial team from 1991 through 1995. We won the Santa Cruz County Mock Trial Competition all four of those years and the team did well at the state competition each year. Many of the “kids” have become superstars in a variety of professions including of course law.
I’m married to an amazing woman who has been my best friend for over 18 years. We have fantastic kids, family and friends and live in one of the greatest communities in America. I’m a very lucky man.